Need Help this Summer?
Hire youth interns!
Do you remember your first job? This summer the Urban Affairs Coalition is offering paid summer job opportunities and support to youth ages 14-18 through the WorkReady program. We need YOU to host interns this summer! Give youth an opportunity to work, promoting early work experience and career development. The program will run for six weeks from July 10th through August 18th and youth typically work 20 hours per week.
FREE for nonprofits and small business
There is no cost for nonprofit organizations, public agencies, and companies with less than 50 employees.
Just $1,800 for larger companies
For companies with over 50 employees, we ask the employer to make an investment in our city's youth by contributing $1,700 per intern.
Why should I hire an intern?
- Provide a young person with early work experience and an introduction to your career field!
- Gain extra help this summer to complete a special project or get caught up on paperwork!
- Feel good about mentoring a young person and helping to put them on a path to success!
What projects might my intern do?
- Help with a day care or summer camp
- Filing or data entry
- Help with social media or website
- Urban gardening or grounds keeping
- Market research, legal research, etc
- Office "greening" or eco-friendly initiative
- Help with business inventory, such as IT equipment
- Be a "secret shopper" and check on the customer experience at your organization
- Any other special project! Contact us to brainstorm additional ideas
What if I don't have time to manage youth interns?
- Think about whether there is someone else in your organization who could supervise the interns. For example, it could be an office manager, administrative assistant, or HR manager.
- Pair the youth interns with college interns to provide additional support and mentoring opportunities.
- Have the interns rotate between departments so they can learn about the entire organization and work with different individuals.
- Invite the interns to shadow you and others in the organization on some days so that they can learn more about what you do.